Thursday, December 17, 2009

Star Viewer


For this weeks stART we made…

IMG_7642

star viewers!

To go along with this book:

image

We own many Christmas books about Jesus’ birth and even though i would never have guessed it to be, for some reason this one seems to be Connor’s favorite. My guess is he likes it because it has pictures of space and he’s in a Buzz Lightyear phase :) Its a simple story about that one special stars journey to Earth. And of course how the wise men followed it to Jesus. Hence, the star viewers.

To make the star viewers you need:

IMG_7628

  • an empty toilet paper tube
  • paint (or markers or whatever you want to design the tube)
  • star stickers
  • plastic wrap (i used purple but it can be any kind)
  • a rubberband

First, paint the toilet paper tube.

IMG_7631

IMG_7633

And let it dry. Because its on cardboard, it dries pretty quickly, about a half hour.

Next, cut a square of plastic wrap,

IMG_7632

and put the star stickers clumped together close, right in the middle of the square.

IMG_7634

IMG_7635

Then put the square over the top of the tube, with the stars directly over the hole. I made it so the front of the stickers were inside the tube so when the kids are looking through it, they see the gold stars, not the back of them. And wrap a rubberband around.

IMG_7639

IMG_7640

Connor wanted me to lie on the couch pretending to be baby Jesus and he and Brianna would come looking for me with their star viewers, just like the wise men did :)

IMG_7644

Go here to see more stART from this week.

13 comments:

  1. What a creative approach to the Christmas story - and it's a very cute story about them wanting you to act out the story with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very unique idea. We loved your post

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo cool! I love it! I like Brianna's bib! hie hie! I really need some inspiration for art projects, the last few weeks it just seems as if I cannot think of anything to do with M. Thanks for this, I will try this with her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! We've been talking about the wise men following the star and I'm thinking we'll have to try this. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea--I love when you can get some use out of those toilet paper tubes! I'm going to put this on my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! What kid doesn't like to pretend with a paper towel roll. I know Selena sure does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought of that! Awesome idea! Thanks so much! Also, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a creative idea. I love it! It's so awesome that they wanted to act it out with you, I love when story's carry over into play. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea - so unique. I think my daughter would love making something like this as well. Let's see if we can fit it in :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this what a great idea! Thank you for linking up :0)
    Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a terrific idea - creative and something fun to play with! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute idea! We have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails